Welcome to ENGL 1102, Back to the Future. Before we discuss the class, let’s chat about these questions: When you think of “the future” what do you imagine? How does out idea of the future shape the choices we make now?
Class Activity: Shared Futures
- 1. Freewrite: take five minutes and respond to the following without stopping:
What is your major and/or the volunteer or extra curricular work to which you contribute a good portion of your time?
How does your discipline (i.e. major field) and/or extra curricular work shape the way you think about the future in both the short and long term?
What ideas of the future does your discipline hold and how does that idea of the future shape the do the choices you make in your present?
- 2. Once you have written completed your freewrite, find a partner, WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW, introduce yourselves, and discuss your responses to the questions. Where your answers overlap? Where do they differ?
- 3. Once you have finished working in your pairs, please find another pair to work with. Once in your bigger groups, please introduce yourselves, and compare your answers. Once you have finished comparing, write your favorite answers to the questions above on the board
- 1. What portion of the student’s verbal argument was most successful and why?
- 2. What visual of the student’s visual/electronic argument was most successful and why?
- 3. Given what you learned from your experience last semester, what do you want to do differently in your video this semester OR for those of you who have made one video already, what advice would you give to students who have not made one yet?