- 1. I will publish your presentation dates tomorrow. I just wanted to wait till after add, drop, swap
- 2. I swapped out one chapter from Rob Nixon’s book Slow Violence and the Environmentalism of the Poor for another. The reading questions are up and .pdf is in Canvas.
Reflection on First Week Video
Take 6-7 minutes and respond to the prompts below in a Word or Google Doc. Since you will be required to include reflections in your Final Portfolio, please file this reflection with your other process documents.
- 1. Explain one way your First Week Video met one Course Goal/Concept.
- 2. Given the opportunity to revise, what is one thing you would change in the Video and why?
- 3. In what ways would you like to improve your video editing skills?
Blog Post and WordPress Post Basics
Please click on your class Blog feed at the top of the course site and then follow along:
Let’s get into groups and answer the following questions about Scott Davies, “Sustainable Nostalgia.” Be prepared to cite and interpret textual evidence in response to your question during class discussion.
- Group 1: What does “sustainability” mean according to Davies? What are some of its complexities, or rather what accounts for the term’s “political attractiveness” (262)?
- Group 2: How does the Brundtland report (i.e. Our Common Future) define sustainability? Why do you think that definition has been so influential (263)?
- Group 3: According to Davies, why have some members of the environmental movement called for the term “sustainability” to be recalled or replaced? Why does Davies disagree with such a call (264)?
- Group 4: What does Davies mean when he says that the dream of sustainability synonymous with a nostalgia for the future (264)? Does this weird idea fix some of the problems with sustainability as a concept/practice?
Video Essay, Prewrite
- Make a list of a TV shows, movies, and/or video games in which the concept of the future mediates social, ecological, and technological transformation.