PD 2: Theoretical Analysis
- 1. According to one or more of the authors we have read so far this semester (Cohen, Nixon, hooks), how do our ideas about the future shape society, technology, and/or ecology?
- 2. Please also cite and analyze at least one passage from the theoretical text you chose and then synthesize your analysis into the larger argument you make in response to the prompt.
- 3. All Blog Posts must be in MLA format when applicable.
Guide to writing an Academic Paragraph
- 1. Topic sentence(s): draft a topic sentence or two that responds to the assignment prompt: According to one or more of the authors we have read so far this semester (Cohen, Nixon, hooks), how do our ideas about the future shape society, technology, and/or ecology?
- 2. Transition: write 2-3 couple sentences that develop your topic sentence and also set up (announce, contextualize) the citation you will include from the essay you are analyzing.
- 3. Citation: choose a couple of sentences from Cohen, Nixon, hooks’s articles and then cite those sentences in your paragraph.
- 4. Close Analysis: write 2-4 sentence “close read”/analyze the citation you included from Cohen, Nixon, hooks’s articles. What’s the main idea of the passage you cited & how do you know? That is, what phrases, rhetorical appeals (ethos, pathos, logos), metaphors, or structure in the passage suggests to you what you say the passage means?
- 5. Conclusion:write 2-3 sentences that tie your analysis back into the larger goal of the paragraph. Now that you have responded to the question with your claim and developed you claim through an analysis of a passage from Cohen, Nixon, hooks’s articles, you need to write 2-3 more sentences that put the pieces together for your reader.
As long as you post your response to Canvas on or before the due date, you will earn full points per document. Remember these activities are process documents that develop skills we will use in class and in the final paper. The documents also provide an opportunity for invention and revision.