24 Oct. Green New Deal & Presentations
Intro: Green New Deal & Presentations
Keep the following in mind as we watch Doyle Canning’ TEDx talk on the Green New Deal:
- 1. What’s the overall goal of Canning’s talk?
- 2. What are the major rhetorical features of her talk, i.e. what sorts of key terms or phrases does she use to frame her description?
- 3. How does she use images in her talk, i.e what images stood out to you? How does she use the images to surprise the audience, inform them, provide context, etc.?
Let’s take a few minutes and work through the following together:
- 1.What are the major findings of the IPCC, “Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5 C,” report from Nov 2018? What does the IPCC report recommend?
- 2. According to the resolution, what crises are interrelated to environmental degradation the US facing?
- 3. What specific goals and/or projects does the Resolution call for in response to the interrelated threats?
A Message from the Future
Keep the following in mind as we watch the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Naomi Klein’s video from The Intercept:
- 1. What goals or projects does the video imagine have been achieved?
- 2. What verbal and/or visual rhetorical techniques does the video use to communicate both from the future and its other aims?